I just realized that my vegan buns are getting quite a good review on VegWeb that I had better post the recipe here as well!
This recipe is somewhat derived from a milk-and-yeast burger recipe. I know it took a few tries to get it right. I served these a few summers ago with homemade veggie burgers and homemade vegan mayo – the buns especially were a big hit. And reading the reviews on VegWeb, it seems the recipe is as well!
Vegan Burger Buns
- 2 cups soy milk (best if warmed up)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 3 tablespoon yeast
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 5 – 6 cups flour (as needed)
If you have a bread machine… combine everything in the correct order and make the dough (steps 1 – 3).
- Dissolve yeast in warm water and soy milk. Let sit 10 minutes.
- Add sugar and oil to yeast mixture. Mix well. Add salt and gradually add the flour until the dough is thick enough to knead, but not too stiff.
- Knead for 8-10 minutes, until dough reaches and elastic consistency.
- Let rise 15 minutes.
- Separate dough into 12 balls. (If you want smaller buns, make about 20). Knead/form each ball well, and place on a baking sheet about 1.5″ apart.
- Cover with a damp dish cloth and place in a warm spot. (An oven that was heated but has cooled quite a bit works well). Let rise 20-30 minutes, or until the edges of the buns are about 1/4” apart.
- Bake at 400ÂºF for 15-20 minutes, until brown on the top. Best served warm; store in a plastic bag to keep in the moisture if keeping overnight.
Serves: 12 – 20